Monday 22 March 2010

One job ends and another begins

I spent the morning from 7am collecting the last of the stones and filling the last cage. After wiring up the sides I took a step back and must say I was very happy. I finished the job by getting rid of any left over stones and bricks clearing up the van and having a short break. The time was now 11.30am.



I got wrapped up and headed out and over the sand dunes from the car park where the life boat cottages used to be. I took a tape measure note book and shovel. I spent some time going over and through the sand dunes looking for appropriate buildings to excavate but there was nothing that wasn't to small, to buried or to used as a toilet. I went further towards the end of the point and went around all of the sites I know of. Finally I came across a building/ room I don't think I had ever been in. The door was very overgrown but once inside the space was amazing. 8m/6m and tall with sand sloping from end to the other in a slow incline, windows and doors, so just enough light and just enough cover. The most important thing was however, that it wasn't full of plastic bags full of fisherman's waist and their was no digging require.



On the back wall next to one of the small doors was some writing amongst the graffiti NCO ARCEEF, i think? anyway it was an obvious mark from the military days of Spurn. I decided there and then that this room would look fabulous as a hidden, lost world of the military past. I wanted to do something sculptural using the sloping sand and objects placed in it slowly being consumed by the sand. I thought about the massive trench bullets I made several years ago, but this time only making a dozen or less and colouring them to make them appear to be made of metal.



I left the building and went out to the end of the point. I found some drift wood and decided to carry it back to the van. Once back I bumped into Andrew and we had a good chat about the Gabions and the completion process of the residency and my plans for the sand filled room. As always Andrew was a massive help and very positive, which after yesterday was just what I needed.



I spent the rest of the afternoon walking the beach picking up ropes and netting for the final gabion which I plan to turn into a table using the drift wood for the top. I could not find much flotsam but did stumble across the spiked point (only) of an old groin. I rolled carried, dragged and pushed the Spike up and over the dunes (where the defences are most shattered, huge slabs of concrete have been tossed about like beach balls and the massive groins snapped like twigs) and left it at the side of the road before retrieving the van and loading it in. The spike will make a perfect ready made.



I didn't manage to take many photos as my phone battery ran flat so I have included some images from previous years on Spurn as well as some video taken at the end of the Point 2 years ago during the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment