Monday 8 March 2010

Back on Point


After a very long trip back to Spurn (breakdown caused by fuel filter dropping off van thanks to the garage who serviced it this week) I had a chat with Andrew who was busily manning the entrance, taking money from all the visitors (and there were many) to Spurn. Cars were parked all along the road before entering the Point by those wishing to walk the length of the spit and once inside, the road was very busy with vehicles heading in both directions and day trippers and bird watchers stepping aside as we passed. All this activity was due to the magnificent weather, as you will see in the following photos.



I spent half an hour looking at the placement of the cages on top of the tank blocks followed by a visit to the two cages in the car park to see how they had weathered. The stones looked much better than the bricks as they had been washed clean by the sun and rain over the last month while the bricks looked unchanged. I decided then and there not to use the bricks, by themselves at least.



I am yet to fully resolve the layout of the cages in my mind. I was a little worried they looked lost in singles and a little forced when on top of each other. The placement and therefor the subsequent colour and nature of the stone work will be absolutely critical. I guess I will only resolve this by working with the cages and stones on top of the blocks themselves. A lot of trial and error lies ahead.



I spent the next three hours collecting stones on the Humber side and also on the sea side of the spit and pilling them up out of reach of the tide ready for collection tomorrow when I will begin working on top of the tank blocks

No comments:

Post a Comment