Sunday 21 March 2010

"Not the coloured bricks"

I arrived at Spurn at 11am and after chatting with Andrew I got to work on completing the cages. The point was bathed in sunlight and had many walkers rambling around. I was questioned several times about the gabions and what it was I was doing. I also met two art teachers from a college in Scunthorpe and they showed a real interest and wanted to know when the show would be on. I worked until 6pm then decided to call it a day, get a shower and eat.



Down at the Pub the Landlady asked me what I was doing hear again and I explained that I was artist in residence a Spurn, she looked all excited and asked "oh did you do that book of photos that's on sale on the visitor centre"?. I explained that the last artist did that. The landlady then asked, "you didn't do those coloured bricks did you", I looked confused and replied, "what coloured bricks" she said "that must have been the last artist." then walked off.



I don't think most people are going to like the stones, but they are yet to be finished so I will hold my judgement until then at least. I have already been playing with the idea of using a thin line of gold leaf to run across the stones and around the gabions to bring some reflective quality to the forms and also to tie them in with the Shoe and a common thread of protecting Spurns heritage. how practical this idea is is a different matter as I would be worried about the weathering of the gold, how long would it last even a very thin seem.

Some research is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment