Saturday 3 April 2010

Rain rain go away



After I finished work on Wednesday I went to the studio to do some tidying up then home to eat. Thursday morning I went to Shoeburyness to collect all of the metal work for the stands and from there I immediately drove to Alain's workshop in Highgate to drop it off. Alain did a great price for all of the lettering (£100) on all eight box sections. I said I would drop off the prototype on Saturday when out with James, so that Alain could match the type set and style. Alain is the man to know and does amazing work for a number of artists as well as one off medical and government commissions.

Thursday night after taking Jamie to football practice I went to a friends open at Matt Roberts gallery on Vyner Street then home to send out invites and emails.

I spent the whole of Good Friday in the studio cleaning plastic bottles and filling the remaining gabion. I am somewhat short but this is not urgent. I constructed an inner cavity so that a light can be placed in the centre without touching the plastic. I used a fine metal mesh and wire I had stored in one of my treasure chests. I always feel smug when I finally find a use for some materials Ive had stored since I (usually) found them after someone else had discarded.




I took the steel mesh 1inch gage and 3mm wire and began cutting it into 60/60cm squares for the base of the stands. I used a jigsaw which worked better than I could have hoped for and once cut down the mesh went from being very flexible as seen in the pic to rather rigid, which is ideal.



I cut the very end off the groin I found so that it now stands on end. I wrestled with ideas about how to present this or frame it, flat piece of white board on the floor with the spike lying down or standing proud? on a white plinth? On a plinth made of found materials, drift wood and steel? I will try a few things and take it to Spurn on my next visit with the finished Bottle/ light/ gabion sculpture.



Saturday i spent with James and my parents. I managed to drop off the prototype and after dropping off Jamie I filled the van ready for the early start to Spurn at 5am in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment