Thursday 22 April 2010

The wheel comes off





I spent the last two weeks running all over London getting metal engraved and then welded together as well as picking up Frame mouldings spray paint and glues. In the middle of the week I went to see family with Jamie and even took work with me to do in my fathers garage.



After dropping off Jamie on the Saturday night I spent the rest of the day in the studio completing the frames and stands ready to take to Spurn in the morning. Once at Spurn at around 11am following a brief stop in Hull to source more materials including lighting tape and spray I met two of Andrews assistants who informed me there was no Andrew due to him being stuck in Poland because of the volcanic ash. Several phone calls later and several trips up and down the point I finally managed to locate the spare set of keys for the lighthouse.




I spent the first part of the day spray painting and then cleaning up the frames, leaving them in the Nisan hut for Andrew to do with what he wants on his return. I had hoped to put them into the ground this weekend but with him being in Poland meant this was not possible. I resolved to leave them for him to decide.









Once inside the lighthouse I got to work sweeping out the first two levels followed by taking all of the plastic bottles the gabion and the light to the first floor where I played with the arrangement for some time and concluded I needed more bottles but that it would work once the windows were covered up. I measured them up and left as it was now 6pm and I was hungry and tired.



The following day I managed to fill 50 sandbags in the artillery building as well as strip back some of the bracken covering the door and remove some of the litter covering the sand. I need to think about this space a little more and how I will present the bullets. I did a reconnaissance as to the best rout to bring the bullets in through and concluded that the distances were the same in either direction but that bringing the bullets in via the road up to the Pilots station would be the smoothest route.

Upon leaving the Point I heard a squeaking noise that briefly came form the axle area, but as I was passing over the temporary road I thought nothing more of it as it stopped once on smooth ground, the following night at midnight as I returned to London I was just hitting the M25 when my front drivers side wheel baring exploded and my wheel sheered off. I was lucky to get the van to a stop unhurt and lucky there was no one else around at that time on the motorway. I finally arrived home at 3am on the back of an AA recovery van. Not the most successful end to the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment