Monday 25 January 2010

Stolen stones

I started the day at sun up, I say sun up but it actually failed to make an appearance all day. A grey wet soup was the prevailing climactic conditions. I took a packed lunch with me, thanks to my hosts at the B&B and began by parking just down from the bird watchers cottages where the road side is nearly level with the beach and collecting stones of various sizes and colours ranging between black and white.

I had not been lumping stones into the back of the van for more than 10 minutes when someone told me I would be fined £2,000 for doing so. I had to explain why I was there and that Andrew knew. I was left alone for the remainder of the day.



I spent the middle part of the day wiring the cages together and starting to fill them with the bricks I had collected the previous day. It soon became clear I had not picked nearly enough bricks, so I padded it out with some of the sea defence squares I had salvaged.



In the afternoon I was visited by Andrew and Fiona Wier (from the YWT) and we talked about their plans to have an artist in residence at all of their parks and reserves running up to the summer with a view to having shows in the summer. I said I would do anything to help but for the meantime watch this space.




Andrew agreed to my suggestion of placing a gabion on each of the tank blocks further down the point and Fiona liked the information points/ frames.



I spent the second half of the afternoon picking up more bricks and stones as well as several more concrete defence cubes. I reinforced the the second gabion to stop it from bulging at the sides and tomorrow morning I shall empty the brick test piece and reset it all over again, then crack on with the Kilnsea stone gabion.



On the way back to the farm I came across a large dear on the road, unfortunately it scrambled into the bushes before i could get a photo. This is only the second time I have seen one on Spurn although their hoof prints are everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment