Sunday 29 November 2009

Artists On Spurn 2007 onwards

Spurn Point is a fast disappearing stretch of the East Yorkshire coastline. It has been the greatest influence on my artistic endeavours for the last twenty years and my life since I was seven years old, living at Paull on the Humber bank.



A fascination with painting and drawing naturally led me to this raw spit of land where I started to record my impressions. A love of collecting and beach combing conspired to bring me to the artworks I create now. Through my art therapy work I am interested in the process of creating art and I have let that process take me where it will.



My work is concerned with the elemental nature of existence and the transient form of natural and manufactured objects.

Importance is placed with the elemental effects on natural and manmade materials from exposure to the sea.





They are evidence of the power of natural forces to change this detritus into unique special objects of great beauty for their own sake.



Special objects? Why? When glancing at the pebbles on the beach, do we find an individual stone so personally exciting or uniquely appealing? Seeing the object through an artists’ eye I feel it stands for itself and should perhaps be displayed individually or as a collection, not altered or used to create a pictorial image.





A lifelong preoccupation with collecting and the nature of sequence and repetition cannot be separated from my work.

The form we occupy today as human beings is only transient and our desperate efforts to halt the process………. A reluctance to accept our own mortality?

The environmental artwork at Spurn relates to the stark environment, the groynes, the lighthouse, movement, the disintegration and destruction, the ebb and flow, the organic nature of the space, a homage to the creative force Spurn evokes in me.





The items were all gathered from one particular stretch of coastline, Spurn Head in East Yorkshire, a fast eroding and disappearing peninsular.

Martin Waters

For a more in depth look at Martins practice and his time as AIR at Spurn please click on the following links









Adrian Wynn Artist In Residence 2009





"Spurn Photographs 2005-2009"
61 photographs of Spurn Point, part of the Heritage Coast of Holderness and a National Nature Reserve. In colour and black and white, a selection of images is shown here.





Published by Contours 2009. A4 landscape format

Available from Yorkshire Wildlife Trust at Spurn and online, and some local bookshops. Available in Sheffield from The Old Sweetshop, 1 Nether Edge Road S7 1RU.
Order here for £14.99 including UK postage and packing by clicking on the cover image.

http://www.adrianwynn.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment